From now on, there are even more private paths to the Open Telekom Cloud: Until recently, a dedicated – in other words, not shared – connection to Telekom's public cloud offering was only possible via Direct Connect. This variant, however, required a considerable amount of configuration work because Telekom had to install and configure additional hardware in the data center for each connection that used this method. That’s why the offering has been expanded: Telekom now offers the Private Link Access Service (PLAS for short) to companies that want to connect their private networks and data centers directly to the Open Telekom Cloud.
Set up a private connection to the public cloud quickly and easily
Thanks to PLAS, Telekom can connect companies to the Open Telekom Cloud with minimal effort via Ethernet Connect – and now also via IntraSelect using Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS). This is possible due to the standardized interfaces provided by PLAS. Companies now have the option of connecting their corporate network to the Open Telekom Cloud with even greater availability and stability. The connection is extremely secure and up to 100 gigabits per second (Gbit/s).
"PLAS acts like a broker on the outer edge of our data centers in Saxony-Anhalt, connecting companies directly to our public cloud offering via Ethernet or MPLS if required," says Peter Menzel, Lead Enterprise Architect Cloud Networking at T-Systems' Public Cloud Managed Services product unit. "This eliminates the need for configuring a separate router or switch for each private connection to the Open Telekom Cloud. As a result it’s even easier and faster."
PLAS reduces connection costs
What’s more, it can help companies to reduce their costs: Those generating permanently high data streams between the cloud and their own network can use a private network connection to eliminate the fees that otherwise arise for data transfer on the line – a financial factor that companies often underestimate.
Telekom plans to expand its offering even further in the future to meet the rising demand for private connections and hybrid cloud scenarios. From March 2019, in addition to Ethernet and MPLS, companies will be able to use other private paths via PLAS to the Open Telekom Cloud outside the public Internet.
Interested companies can book the PLAS service in the Open Telecom Cloud portal. The service can be found in the "Network" section of the portal.
At a glance: the benefits of Open Telekom Cloud
- Security: The data are hosted in highly secure Telekom computing centres in Germany.
- Scalability: Computing power and memory can be ordered and set up online and adapted flexibly at any time.
- Pricing models: We offer you flexible and fixed contractual periods as well as a combination of both models.
- No vendor lock-in: Open Telekom Cloud is based on OpenStack, a freely available open-source standard. You can change the provider at any time.
- Individual configuration: CPU, RAM, storage, network – you can put a package together for yourself that matches your requirements to the optimum degree.
- IaaS for all: Open Telekom Cloud is extremely flexible and therefore suitable for companies of every size.