A circular room, 32 cameras on the walls and ceiling and IT resources from the cloud – this is the basis of the first commercial volumetric film studio in Babelsberg. While sound and color were once revolutionary in film, today it is the three-dimensional recordings that are being created in this studio. But this is not the end of the story: With the help of the new technology, it will be possible to walk into films in future – a virtual reality in which viewers can immerse themselves in the scenery right next to their favorite actors. The production of this kind of content requires enormous computing and storage capacities. For the film studio in Babelsberg CEO Sven Bliedung is getting this from the Open Telekom Cloud.
Media industry: Cloud computing is becoming increasingly important
This example shows how the cloud is playing an increasingly important role in the film industry. And that's why it's one of the most important topics at the Medientage München (Munich Media Days) at the end of October. Under the motto "Engage! Shaping Media Tech Society," the who’s-who of the industry will be confronted with innovative solutions and technologies such as cloud computing, blockchain and artificial intelligence (AI) at Europe's largest media trade fair. Numerous exhibitors will present their ideas for the media industry and experts will discuss a range of relevant topics. Telekom will also be there, showing how computing resources from the public cloud will revolutionize the film industry in the future. After all, the cloud is becoming increasingly important, especially for many filmmakers.
Developing cloud solutions with partners
In addition to Telekom itself, there will also be two start-ups there that provide digital solutions for the film industry from the Open Telekom Cloud. The start-up Raypack.AI, for example, operates visual analytics with artificial intelligence (AI). In Munich, CTO Gary Hilgemann will show how media companies can increase the efficiency of their media archive by using adaptive video AIs that automatically analyze and index film material. Start-up SatoshiPay also uses the Open Telekom Cloud for its solution. At the Medientage, CEO Meinhard Benn will speak about blockchain and micropayment.
"The media industry is currently undergoing massive changes in the direction of IT and the cloud," says Ralf Hülsmann, Head of Partner Ecosystem for Cloud in T-Systems' Digital Division. "The volumetric film studio from the cloud, for example, is no longer a vision of the future, but a reality. With the Open Telekom Cloud, we offer filmmakers a media cloud based on open source with which they can quickly and securely implement the entire production process from shooting and editing to play-out and archiving.”
The most important facts about the Medientage:
- What: Medientage München
- When: 10.24. – 10.26.2018
- Where: Trade fair Munich, Conference Center Nord, Paul-Henri-Spaak-Straße 18, 81829 Munich
- Who: In addition to Telekom, other well-known IT companies, renowned international speakers and numerous visitors from the media industry
- Keynote: Gary Hilgemann, founder and CTO of Raypack.AI GmbH – "Increase the efficiency of your media archive with adaptive Video A.I. indexing“ / Meinhard Benn, CEO, SatoshiPay - "Blockchain & Transparency: Will blockchain increase transparency in the media industry?"
At a glance: the benefits of Open Telekom Cloud
- Security: The data are hosted in highly secure Telekom computing centres in Germany.
- Scalability: Computing power and memory can be ordered and set up online and adapted flexibly at any time.
- Pricing models: We offer you flexible and fixed contractual periods as well as a combination of both models.
- No vendor lock-in: Open Telekom Cloud is based on OpenStack, a freely available open-source standard. You can change the provider at any time.
- Individual configuration: CPU, RAM, storage, network – you can put a package together for yourself that matches your requirements to the optimum degree.
- IaaS for all: Open Telekom Cloud is extremely flexible and therefore suitable for companies of every size.